Saturday, September 23, 2017

Is there A Metal Uniform?

Ahh, an age-old question as old as metal itself.
What do I even mean by a metal uniform?
Basically, it is a definable look that a metal fan has, male or female.
Back in the 80s, one could spot a metalhead pretty easily.
In fact, the photo below is of your humble blogger back sometime in the mid-80s.
your profile photo, Image may contain: 1 person, close-up
It was from an old work ID that I had.
What you do not see, besides the long hair (which I might add is au natural curly!) is the leather jacket, band t-shirt (Saxon) the sleeves cut, blue, semi-tight Levis and Puma high-top tennis shoes.
For me, that was the metal uniform.
If one can compare it to a band or genre, it would be like Iron Maiden or Metallica and the genre is either what one would now refer to as classic metal or thrash metal.
There are things that I would never and did not do.
I never did and will never get a tatt.
I never did and will never wear an earring or earrings.
I never thought of ever wearing makeup.
That is just me.
Of course I knew dudes that did have tatts and wore earrings. It was and is not for me.
But there are other metal uniforms, if you will.
There are those who followed glam metal that wore more of that uniform.
Here is a photo of Motley Crue from their breakout hit album, Theater Of Pain.
Image result for motley crue theatre of pain photos
I don't diss them for this look. It is what they became at that point. They left the aura of misunderstood punks (not punk rock, just punks) and evolved into much more of a melodic metal band. And they look the part here. While always a band into the makeup, even in their early days, such as the Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil years, the above photo they really went for the glam metal look.
Below is from the Too Fast For Love, the Crue's first album.
Image result for motley crue too fast for love photos
For me, that was not my uniform, if you will.
But here is the thing.
There is no one way to look to have what I would call a metal attitude.
It is more of a way of looking at the world. To some people, it is not a great way of looking at the world. It is in many cases an anti-social view. I personally don't consider myself anti-social, per se. But I am definitely anti-establishment of any kind. Always leery of anything big. Big business, big labor, big banks, big government, and I can go on.
But back to the uniform.
For me, and for many, my act of rebellion was the long hair. The leather jacket. The high top shoes.
To me, that is the metal uniform. And everyone has their own who are metalheads. And we can and should celebrate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment