Saturday, September 9, 2017

So What Is This Blog Gonna Be About?

Well, duh?!
Heavy metal rock music, of course!
But I think the real question should be why now?
Because I had a revelation this past July 29, 2017, my birthday.
I was able to see one of, if not the greatest metal bands of all time, Metallica. It was the first time I had seen them since they totally broke through with their seminal album, Master Of Puppets. That was in 1986.
In that span of time, metal has been up and down. Many thought it would die in the 90s. And it almost did. But bands like Metallica kept the flame alive and a new generation of metal was born. By the 2000s, bands like Avenged Sevenfold hit the scene.
The point is that seeing Metallica before with about 70,000 others at the venerable Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California made me realize that metal music is about to make a huge comeback.
So that is where I come in with this blog.
It is sort of a trip down memory lane. I want to share what it was like to be around for the greatest era of metal, the mighty 1980s. I hope to share what it was like to see some of the great and maybe not so great bands. I want to share what the overall scene was like in what we call pop music during that time.
But I also want to keep up with what is here and now. What new and not so new acts are doing. Who is going to be the next wave of metal going into the 2020s.
As you can see in the links to the left of this post, I have just begun to link to a lot of mostly 80s metal bands. As time goes on in this journey I will be adding more. And if you become a regular reader of this blog, maybe you will be able to turn me onto something that I have not heard before.
I found the following information by way of Wikipedia. That there are about 26 sub genres of what I call metal music. Twenty frickin six sub-genres of metal. Let that sink in why don't ya?!
Metal is more than just music. It is what many of us live for. The next album. The next show. The next big new thing. Or the best album of a band. A great show that I saw back in the day. What would end up being the next big thing.
That is what this blog is gonna be about.
Stay tuned and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment